A Genuine slice of history from the beginning of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign
The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II took place on 2nd June 1953 at Westminster Abbey following the death of her father King George VI the previous year. To commemorate this landmark moment in our Royal history, the United Kingdom Postal Office released four specially commissioned stamps - the very first of her long reign.
This collection includes all four coronation stamps cancelled on the very First Day of Issue, which was in fact the day after the coronation due to the public holiday.
Seventy-six designs were submitted for consideration and a different designer was selected for each stamp. The portrait of the Queen on the 2&1/2d, 4d and 1s6d stamps were in three-quarter view, which was her Majesties preference and based on a photograph taken by the noted English society photographer, Dorothy Wilding.
The 1s3d stamp features a full-face portrait of the Queen in her coronation robes, designed by Edmund Dulac, who was responsible for the commemorative stamps issued for the coronation of King George VI and the 1948 Summer Olympics. Despite the Queens reservation, Dulac’s design was still used.
The significance of the Queen’s coronation, her recent 90th birthday and her upcoming Sapphire Jubilee are all key reasons why this First Day of Issue stamp collection is in very high demand today.
Key Issue Information:
- Collection of rare First Day of Issue stamps to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953
- Cancelled the day after the coronation due to the Post Office being closed for the public holiday
- Four different designers were selected for each stamp value
- The portrait on three of the stamps used the Queen’s preferred choice of a three-quarter view, which was based on a photograph taken by Dorothy Wilding
- Housed in a Deluxe Presentation Folder with Certificate
Country of issue: United Kingdom
First Day of issue: 3rd June 1953
Denominations: 2 ½d – 1s 6d
Delivery via Royal Mail Special Delivery
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom