Fantastic opportunity to own a collection of fifteen unused war tax stamps issued throughout the British Commonwealth to raise funds during World War I
The cost of World War I for the British Empire was estimated at $47 billion, which was a very significant sum of money considering this was based on the value of the dollar in 1913. In order to help finance the war effort, postal stamps were taxed primarily within the British Empire by overprinting the stamps with the words ‘WAR TAX’. Now over 100 years later, these stamps which helped the allies win the war have become highly sought-after by collectors and military enthusiasts alike.
This impressive collection of fifteen unused stamps feature examples of WAR TAX overprints from a wide selection of British Commonwealth countries. Each stamp has been sourced throughout the world and has taken a considerable amount of time to put together in this attractive collection.
The tax on stamps to raise funds for a war did continue after World War I however regular stamps were taxed without the need for overprinting, the price of the stamp simply increased. As a result, WAR TAX overprinted stamps have rarely been seen after this period. Further fueling this collector demand is the significant interest in war memorabilia throughout the world.
The stamps that raised funds and ultimately help win the First World War has resulted in significant interest and demand from stamp collectors in addition to Military enthusiasts. Harrington & Byrne has managed to secure a very limited number of these unused WAR TAX Stamp Collections to offer today.
Key Issue Information:
- Impressive collection of fifteen unused WAR TAX overprint stamps issued during World War I
- The tax on the stamps was used to raise funds to finance the British Empire war effort and ultimately helped the allies win the war
- These stamps are over 100 years old and the WAR TAX overprint has rarely been used since World War I
- Highly sought-after by collectors and military enthusiasts alike
- All fifteen unused stamps are housed in a luxury presentation folder with certificate
Delivery via Royal Mail
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom