Fantastic opportunity to own an impressive collection fourteen iconic Queen Victorian Stamps issued over a 59 year period from 1841 to 1900
It was during the reign of Queen Victoria that Sir Rowland Hill first introduced the pre-paid postage stamp system which completely revolutionised the way we communicated with one another. This impressive collection of fourteen used stamps issued during Queen Victoria’s reign truly captures this historic period. It includes an imperforated one penny red stamp issued within a year of the world’s very first postage stamp, the iconic Penny Black as its replacement due to problems with forgery, to stamps issued in 1887, the golden jubilee year of the Queen and unofficially regarded as the very first UK commemorative stamps.
This collection also physically illustrates the development of printing technology beginning with imperforated stamps separated by hand with scissors at Post Offices, through to the introduction of perforated stamps, the significant change from recess printing to the more cost effective and scalable surface printing and finally to the introduction of plate numbers to help avoid the fraudulent misuse of stamps.
The oldest stamp in this collection is over 175 years old and with estimated survival rate of only 2% for Victorian stamps, stamps from this particular era are very difficult to source and are in very high demand from stamp collectors around the world.
The significance of this era in terms of the history of stamps and the very low survival rates are two key reasons why they are in very high demand today. Indeed, as a result of this continued demand, the last 20 years has seen the official Stanley Gibbons catalogue value for a fine used example of all fourteen stamps rise by an incredible 370%.
Key Issue Information:
- Impressive collection of 14 used stamps issued during the reign of Queen Victoria over a 59 year period
- This collection includes an imperforated one penny red stamp issued in 1841 as the replacement for the Penny Black in addition to stamps issued during the Golden Jubilee year of Queen Victoria
- This collection illustrates the significant changes in stamp printing technology including the introduction of perforated stamps and plate numbers
- The official Stanley Gibbons Catalogue value for fine used example of all fourteen stamps has increased by an impressive 370% over the past 20 years
- Housed in a Deluxe Presentation Folder with certificate
Delivery via Royal Mail
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom