Opportunity to own complete collection of the smallest UK postage stamp ever issued!
In October 1870, the first halfpenny red postage stamp was issued by the United Kingdom Postal Service. The stamp was introduced due to a reduction in postal rates for newspapers and postcards. In total fifteen plates were used during the issue of this stamp and you have the chance today to own all of these within one complete collection.
This stamp is a must have for all collectors as it is the smallest UK postage stamp ever issued. It is half the size of a one penny stamp and is nicknamed ‘Bantam’ due to its small size.
The stamp was lined engraved and features a profile of Queen Victoria with the denomination of 1/2d on either side. It also has a watermark with the word ‘halfpenny’ extended over three stamps.
The plate number was engraved on the stamp on the left and right side of the lace work. In total, there were fifteen different plate numbers in production, including plate nine which was a reserve plate that was very rarely used.
This unique collection of half penny red stamps includes an example of all fifteen plate numbers, including the very scarce and rarely used plate nine.
The significance of the smallest UK postage stamp ever issued in addition to the opportunity to own an example of all fifteen plate numbers has resulted in the Stanley Gibbons catalogue value for a fine used example rise by 185% over the past 20 years.
Key Issue Information:
- Opportunity to own a complete collection of the smallest UK postage stamp ever issued
- Introduced due to a reduction in postal rates for newspapers and postcards
- This complete collection includes an example of all fifteen plate numbers
- Includes a half penny red stamp from plate nine which was rarely used
- In 2015 the official Stanley Gibbons Catalogue value for fine used example of all fifteen plate numbers was £1,484 - rise of 185% over 20 years.*
- All fifteen stamps housed together in one Deluxe Presentation Folder with Certificate
*2015 Stanley Gibbons Catalogue price for fine used example
Country of issue: United Kingdom
First year of issue: 1870
Denomination: Half Penny
Delivery via Royal Mail Special Delivery
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom