Stunning limited edition £5 coin cover issued to mark the historic 50th anniversary of Decimalisation
2021 marks the 50th anniversary of Decimalisation Day when Britain made the biggest change to its currency in over 1,000 years. The transition occurred on Monday 15th February 1971 with decimal currency replacing the ‘old money’ of pounds, shilling and pence, a system dating back to the Roman times. To commemorate this historic half-century anniversary, a brand new, limited edition coin cover has rightly been issued.
The covers centrepiece features a brand new £5 coin struck to a proof-like finish which has been fully approved by Buckingham Palace. The coins reverse has been inspired by the original 1971 decimal designs created by leading artist at the time, Christopher Ironside FRBS, OBE. These include the St Edwards Crown of the half pence, the portcullis of the penny, the crowned lion of the ten pence and the seated Britannia from the fifty pence which was the world’s first seven-sided coin. The obverse features a portrait of the Queen, who in 1968 opened the Royal Mint’s new premises in South Wales which was built to manage the increase in demand for the new decimal currency.
To perfectly complement the coin, this cover includes a set of six original pre-decimal Machin stamps issued between 1967 and 1968 ranging from the 1/2d orange-brown to the 5d royal blue. A 1st class Machin stamp is also included and is cancelled on the 1st January 2021 - marking the beginning of the 50th anniversary year - using a specially designed handstamp, which sets in stone the low worldwide edition limit of only 2,021 covers.
The significance of this change which impacted the lives of millions of people and the low worldwide edition limit are two key reasons why the cover is in very high demand. Harrington & Byrne has managed to secure a small number of these attractive covers to offer today.
Key Issue Information:
- Stunning limited edition £5 coin cover issued to mark the historic 50th anniversary of Decimalisation
- Features a brand new commemorative £5 coin struck to a proof-like finish issued especially for this historic anniversary
- Also includes six original pre-decimal Machin stamps and a 1st class stamp cancelled on the 1st January 2021 marking the beginning of the 50th anniversary year
- Low worldwide edition limit of only 2,021 covers and it is expected to sell out extremely quickly!
- Housed in a Deluxe Presentation Folder with Certificate
Delivery via Royal Mail
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom