Opportunity to own two stamps released to commemorate the silver wedding anniversary of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth
On 26th April 1923 the wedding of Prince Albert and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lynn, whom later become King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, took place at Westminster Abbey. Twenty-five years later in 1948, two official wedding commemorative stamps were issued, the 2&1/2d ultramarine stamp and the high value £1 blue stamp.
It took Prince Albert three proposal attempts before Lady Elizabeth accepted his hand in marriage. She had been concerned she would no longer be able to ‘think, speak nor act’ as she would like to if she married into the Royal family. Prince Albert’s freedom to pursue his love for her was seen as political modernisation at a time when historically Princes were expected to marry Princesses.
The 2&1/2d stamp issued for the 25th wedding anniversary was designed by G.T Knipe, who was a specialist stamp artist working for Harrison & Sons. The £1 stamp was designed by Joan Hassall, a famous artist who also produced the invitation to Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation. Despite the Post Office wanting to include famous landmarks on the stamps as they felt they appeal more to the general public, the King insisted on a simpler portrait design.
The stamps were issued on the 26th April 1948 and proved extremely popular with collectors and Royal enthusiasts alike.
The significance of the 25th Royal Wedding anniversary and the popularity of the King and Queen that lead Great Britain throughout World War II are key reasons why these stamps are in very high demand today. Harrington & Byrne has managed to secure a very small number of stamps to offer today.
Key Issue Information:
- Issued to mark the Royal Silver Wedding Anniversary for King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1948
- The 2&1/2d stamp featured a simple portrait of the King and Queen designed by G.T.Knipe, a specialist stamp artist from the printers, Harrison & Sons
- The £1 blue stamp was designed Joan Hassall, a famous artist and based on a portrait by Dorothy Wilding
- King George VI and Queen Elizabeth stamps are in high demand from collectors and Royal enthusiasts alike due to their popularity
- All stamps are housed in a deluxe presentation with certificate
Delivery via Royal Mail Special Delivery
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom