Exciting opportunity to own a collection of pristine, unused definitive stamps issued during the historic reign of King George VI
On 11th December 1936, George VI unexpectedly acceded to the throne due to the controversial abdication by his eldest brother, Edward VIII, in order to marry the divorced American socialite Wallis Simpson.
The very first definitive stamps of his reign were produced the following year in 1937 and would continue to be issued throughout his fifteen year reign until 1952. This is a fantastic collecting opportunity to own all twenty-seven lower denominated definitive stamps – up to one shilling - in pristine, unused condition.
The initial set of fifteen definitive stamps issued from 1937 ranged from the 1/2d green to the 1s bistre-brown. In 1941, during the height of World War II, the six lowest denominated stamps - which were also the most commonly used - were re-issued with a lighter background in order to save money on printing ink. The colours of each stamp were changed from 1950-52, with six new definitive stamps released, this time it excluded the 3d stamp however included the 4d stamp. In total, twenty-seven stamps complete this very impressive and historic collection – a must have for all stamp collectors.
The significance of the definitive stamps issued over 65 years ago that were used throughout World War II is a key reason why they are in high demand today. Indeed, as a result of this continued demand, the last 20 years has seen the official Stanley Gibbons catalogue value for a fine unused example of all twenty-seven stamps rise by 58%.
Key Issue Information:
- Impressive collection of twenty-seven unused definitive stamps issued during the reign of King George VI over 65 years ago!
- The stamps would serve the nation throughout World War II and includes reissued stamps from 1941 with a lighter background in order to save money on ink during the war
- The kings portrait was designed by Edmund Dulac, who was responsible for numerous commemorative stamps during this era
- The official Stanley Gibbons Catalogue value for a fine unused example of all twenty-seven stamps has increased by 58% over the past 20 years
- All stamps are housed together in one Deluxe Presentation Folder with Certificate
- Housed in a Deluxe Presentation Folder with certificate
Delivery via Royal Mail
Estimated Delivery Time: 7-10 Working Days
Delivery available throughout the United Kingdom